The Bridgwater War Memorial was erected in King Square to remember the gallant sons who fell in the Great Wars.

The memorial was unveiled on 25th September 1924 by the Earl of Cavan amidst impressive and touching scenes and in the presence of a huge assembly of all sections of the community.

The Memorial won the approval of the towns people generally who recognised that in it they posses not only a real work of art but a fitting and dignified reminder for all time of the noble part played by Bridgwater in the country’s hour of need and of the “great sacrifice” paid by so many of her sons.

Mr John Angel’s conception of Civilisation’s triumph over war has found expression in a beautiful memorial and one well worthy of our honoured dead, whose names are inscribed thereon.

The names of those who fought in the second world war were added later, also those who have fought in recent conflicts have also been added.


Wembdon road cemetery was consecrated in 1851 an extension of
St Mary's Church

Bristol road cemetery was consecrated in 1878 and was an extension of St John's Church in Blake Place

Quantock road cemetery is the newest and was consecrated in 1930 and only contains WW2 memorials

Flag Counter